OK now that I’m beginning to emerge from my post-PAX depression (it begins when the house lights come on after the final round of the Omegathon) I figure I can comment a little on the goings on. PAX was packed. With a number cited just over the 58,000 mark it was see of geeky delight. While there was certainly complaints on overcrowding, particularly with some people being turned away as events filled up quickly, I am still suitably impressed at the level of enthusiasm and community evidenced by the PAX attendees. Sure there is a certain geek stratification but by and large the feeling of solidarity at the con is certainly something special.
- Mega64 panel=awkward fun
- Wil Wheaton panel= “How can one man be a whole panel?” Wil: “Kinda like this baby!” Plus: Wil as Shatner sings Happy Birthday.
- Dedicated cowbell guy during “Don’t Fear the Reaper” on Rock Band. Seriously. Real. Live. Cowbell.
- Spy and Engineer performing “Sabotage” on Rock Band. The irony was not lost on me, sirs.
- Left 4 Dead. Didn’t get to play it but watching a horde of around 10+ zombies swarm 4 PCs was chill inducing.
- the Fallout 3 airstream. I ❤ Bethesda.
- Judy Nails cosplayer/Activision employee. Truth be told I’m more of a Casey Lynch fan, but still, props.
- MC Frontalot: Yellow Lasers and Goth Girls plus bonus JoCo appearance.
- Darkest of the Hillside Thickets: Lovecraft frickin’ rocks!
- JoCo+Felicia Day= Dorkgasm
- Rock Band 2 drums=bueno!
- and more!
- Give some 3000+ people pipe cleaners to play with and what is the most likely thing they will build? If your answer was penis than you are correct. Some major phallic fixation going on from the 4 foot long elaborate 3d pipe cleaner models to 10+ foot long 2d sculptures I quickly rocketed beyond wry amusement into being creeped the fuck out. Seriously the line room was covered in penises. WTF.
I might have more to say later about the awesomeness of PAX but right now many a site and personality have impressions and breakdowns of PAX that say things way better than I can: